Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bulletproof.... I wish I was.

Someone should shoot Ryan Cabrera. I was feeling ok. And then I have to hear his song, Photo on the radio in 7-11.

Been reading alot lately. Finished 3 books by Isabel Allende. The Infinite Plan, Zorro and City of Beasts. Really enjoyed them. She writes beautifully, about life, living, love, sadness and hope.

Got this off Joe Ng's blog,

On Local Music - "They tried killing off local music in the 70s. The ban on long hair and rock concerts then effectively killed off the scene and most importantly the industry. The void in the ensuing years was plugged by music from abroad. It wasn't just the recording & performance industry that was decimated. I think its worse than that.

As a teenager in the 80s and a young working adult in the early 90s, I was perplexed that my contemporaries have no knowledge of local music. The only thing they have heard of are perhaps Dick Lee, Tokyo Square and the odd songs here and there. To a lot of them "local music" is a term, an anomaly. Worse still some even treat it with disdain. It is also regarded by many of my peers as a genre. Like for example, I like sentimental hits, or I like heavy metal... or I like local music. I've only met a very rare few who have embraced it and take it to their hearts as part of their life and a personal heritage to be proud of.

Why is this so? My reckoning is as a kid/teenager, what we listen to on the radio (prior to late 80s, there was only one English radio station and one Mandarin station. No podcasting etc) determine our awareness and our approach towards it. If we don't hear it, we don't know it. So When we grow up to be adults in the 90s, we have no local music in our hearts. We don't know what it is. Many of my peers don't even think they need it. That to me is utterly tragic and sad.

Local music isn't a concept nor a genre. It is voices from songs, harmonies sung and written from our shared sociological experiences. And beyond that, it is dignity and pride that reflects an integral part of where we come from. Where we belong."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home